2003 Domain to 2008  Domain
One of my client has single 2003 domain controller. We need to blow up the box and need to redeploy it with Server 2008 Sp2 (not r2). we have already taken a system state back up(from native windows NTBACKUP)from 2003 DC. after rebuilding the box with 2008 Sp2, can i staright away restore and get all the users, there email addresses, group memeber ship etc or do i need to take some extra steps.I have also exported the users with CSVDE.so the requirement is to have same AD (as in 2003 domain) after deploying 2008 Domain. I have only one server so no migration and upgrade (client want every thing from scratch).Raj
November 18th, 2009 2:01pm

Raj,You might run into some problems with your above plan..You will have difficulties restoring from ntbackup to W2K8 because of the different backup platform, secondly, your current schema/environment is W2K3 and your backup might not work in a W2K8 domain.So here are some suggestions:I know you only have a single Domain controller, but if you can:1) Upgrade your currentforest and domainfromW2K3 to W2K8 by inserting the W2K8 installing disk into the W2K3 server and run adprep /forestprep, adprep /domainprep2) I will advise you to look for used/old temporarily server or good workstation, install windows server OS on it, promote to Domain Controller in your existing Domain. Test and make sure it is running good with no errors, migrate/move all roles that the current server holds, FSMO, DNS.DHCP etc to this server.3) Demote the W2K3 domain controller, remove from the domain, perform a clean install of W2K8. and promote as a domain controller inyour existing domain4) move/migrate all roles back to this new server 5) Demote the temporarily server and remove from the domainIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 18th, 2009 3:11pm

Hi Isaac,How is this plan:1. Take the image of the server (for roll back).2. Run CSVDE and export all the user.3. Run Exmerge and pull out alll the PSTs.Format the box.1. Install 2008 and dcpromo it (with same server name, same domain and forest name).2. Import the CSV to the AD.3. Ccreate the mail boxes manually.4. import back the pst's to the exchange.Clients are all in work group. So even if the SID changes, I think i will be fine.Feedback?Raj
November 18th, 2009 4:26pm

Hello Raj,If you don't have that many users, then your plan should be good. But I am not show about exchange and importing th .pst files..YOu may want to get confirmation of this in the Exchange forum.Also if you import users using csv then you may have to manually recreate all their profiles etcIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 18th, 2009 4:48pm

I have only 35 users which i think i can take care. I can take care of the exchange part.Thanks a lot.Raj
November 18th, 2009 7:07pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics